Making Small Things Necessarily Big



Lazy Sunday (minus the Chronic -What!?- cles of Narnia)


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I woke up today at 7:40 a.m., ground some coffee beans, and brewed a pot. I don't drink coffee, so that was kind of fun. Three other men showed up separately at my apartment: 8:30, 8:40, and 8:45. We sat down to have a talk. They drank my coffee. It was okay. 10 o'clock came quickly, and each of the men decided to leave for church. I did not. I instead took a very slow shower, 30 minutes at least. I got out of the shower and stared at myself in the mirror for 10 minutes and put on some boxer briefs (Maroon. It was the only color left. Why do they even put maroon in there?). I walked upstairs and sat down at my computer, checked my email, listened to some talk radio, and practiced the same riff I've been playing for the last week on my guitar. My neighbors are humming it through the walls now with me whether they like it or no. I waited for a phone call from a Friday night date for a follow up lunch. I thought about going to lunch on my own and put some jeans on, but then laid down on my bed.... No socks! (It's always hard to go from no socks to socks. No socks always has more intertia.) Started reading again. Read for 10 minutes until the chapter had ended. And I kept reading even though I didn't have the energy for another chapter. I made it about 4 pages in, but dog-eared the first page of the chapter I had begun. I thought about dying. I read everybody's blog but made no comments. Sorry. I was in one of those mouse only moods. Thought about going to lunch by myself again. Decided to wait until most restaurants had emptied their sunday school luncheons. Picked up my guitar. Played "Be Kind to Me", the way I would if there was large group of friends sitting around, sing along style. Wrote down lyrics to five songs that I had previously noted as good songs to cover last year. Put on socks and boots. Accidently found a good shirt in the bathroom, thin and old and soft. Put on my grandad's flannel insulated shirt. Walked into the bathroom again. Noted that my hair was getting long and that I should for once in my life allow it to keep growing freely. It looks kinda wispy like a young robert redford. Robert Redford in The Natural. Went for a walk. Walked for an hour. Thought about how I could just keep walking. How at any time as long as I was walking I almost always felt good because I could always just keep walking in a straight line. What's to stop me? I went to Blockbuster after drinking a smoothie and asked for a movie which they did not have. The clerk asked me who was in it. I said I didn't know, it starts with a K and sounds like Andalar, I said. He asked if I'd like to join the Blockbuster subscription club. No thanks, I said. You could get the movie you want if you subscribe, he said. No thanks.

Called my Friday night date to arrange for lunch this week. Left another one of my prototypical messages. Call me back, I said. It's 9:30, I said.

And now I have one wish. I wish that my room would break off the side of my house like a goodyear blimp and drop in the Colorado river. I'd float down the river. I'd wave to the kiddies for the first mile or so, but then I'd just sleep. And I'd just keep rolling along like that until I hooked up with the next thing.


6 Responses to “Lazy Sunday (minus the Chronic -What!?- cles of Narnia)”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I really like you Ryan, not in a broke back way though. Your post was so nice, I almost entered a similar just by reading it. I don't know if you enjoyed your morning, but I think you should have. I know I have a hard time with those types of mornings, but I have a hard time resting when I'm tired. Looking back I wish I had taken more time to rest, I think maybe I could have gotten to know you alot better. I hope your date went well. This may be one of the few posts of anybody I read again. Peace out holmes, peace.

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    i wrote a comment, a long one, but its not here?????? What the F%$K!!!!

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    When you walk, do you smell the air? I do. I spend hours smelling everything. I don't know why. I like your writing. I am not just saying that. It makes me a bit jelous (sp?). I am reading Goodbye To A River. It forces you to read slowly and calm your insides. I am amazed that a less than three hundred page book has taken me a month to read when I can usually knock out a couple hundred pages a week leasurly. Your post reminds me of it. It forced me to be with you in your relaxation. Well done. Also, I read it with Patty Griffin playing. It was a good pairing.

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Yeah I wrote a long one too. Ryan, are you screening?

  5. Anonymous Anonymous 

    there it is! yes!

  6. Anonymous Anonymous 

    hey
    maroon boxers suck. maroon most things suck if you ask me. that is worst part of the Aggie experience is all the maroon. it isn't cool; it is hard to make anything maroon cool. in the mid nineteen eighties, yes, maroon was cool. not now.
    that is all

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Recommends

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3